Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online:4264
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 19-23

Hysterosalphingographic findings in women with infertility in Sokoto North Western Nigeria


Department of Radiology, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Mohammed Danfulani
Department of Radiology, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2384-5589.139438

Rights and Permissions

Background: Patients who presented with infertility could have a structural deformity that can be responsible for it. Hysterosalphingography (HSG) is a special contrast examination that is used to assess the structural integrity of the cervical canal, uterine cavity and fallopian tubes. This study reviewed the pattern of HSG findings in patients with infertility in Sokoto, Northwestern Nigeria. Materials and Methods: Descriptive retrospective study of patients who have been referred for HSG examination to our center. A total of 317 patients that had HSG examination done in our center from July 2009 to August 2012 were reviewed. The information retrieved from their records included biodata, indication for examination, summary of radiologist report. Data obtained were analyzed using Statistical Software SPSS version 18 for windows Results: A total of 317 patients were involved in the study, their ages ranged from 17 to 48 years. (mean 32.5 ± 5.5 years). The indications were primary infertility 143 (45.1%) and secondary 174 (54.9%) patients. Report showed that 139 (41.7%) patients had normal HSG findings and the remaining 178 (58.3%) had abnormalities in the cervical canal, uterine cavity or fallopian tubes. Tubal pathologies constituted the commonest finding 112 (33.6%) followed by uterine (25.5%) and cervical the least 45 (13.5%) patients. It was observed that majority of the lesions occurred in combination. Conclusion: HSG has a very high diagnostic yield in the management of infertility and should be routinely employed in patients being evaluated for infertility.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed4561    
    Printed68    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded225    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal