Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  • Users Online:798
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 12  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 6-9

Non-ulcer dyspepsia: An endoscopic review


Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Unit, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
Rose Ashinedu Ugiagbe
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Unit, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Edo State
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Background: Non-ulcer dyspepsia refers to dyspepsia with no organic cause. Upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy provides superior diagnostic accuracy in detecting organic causes of dyspepsia than radiography. Objective: The objective of this study is to determine the prevalence of non-ulcer dyspepsia in the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), Benin City, Nigeria. Patients and Methods: A review of the upper GI endoscopy register of the endoscopy unit of the UBTH was undertaken to cover a 7 year period from February 2006 to January 2013. All consecutive adult patients who had dyspepsia as the indication for endoscopy were included in the study. The bio-data and findings from the procedure were obtained from the endoscopy register. Results: A total of 1075 patients had diagnostic upper GI endoscopy during the study period. Of these patients, 597 (55.5%) had dyspepsia as the indication for endoscopy and were studied. The ages ranged from 16 to 90 years with a mean age of 48.6 ± 15.7 years. Those in the 6 th decade of life constituted the largest cohort. Patients consisted of 201 (33.7%) males and 396 (66.3%) females giving a male to female ratio of 1:2. Non-ulcer dyspepsia constituted 15.4% (92/597) of the patients undergoing endoscopy for dyspepsia while the remaining 84.6% (505/597) was accounted for by organic dyspepsia. Conclusion: This study shows that the prevalence of non-ulcer dyspepsia in UBTH is low as compared with findings from other centers in the country. This finding needs to be explored further in alarger cohort study in Nigeria.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3443    
    Printed115    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded147    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal